Thread: Wintersday Changes to WvW

Hybrid View

Wintersday Changes to WvW

So new article is out about changes coming up and some big ones in WvW

Here is the official forum thread on the WvW changes

The Alt F4 fix is HUGE for me. I'm going to see a nice increase in badges, or decrease of cowards logging into WvW...either way, a big plus.

Not sure how I feel about the insta wall fix being removed...I liked that strategy of trapping half their zerg in a keep and killing them off. We'll have to come up with something new I guess. They said nothing about gates...so assuming they didn't touch that which I find off. You need 10% of wall up before it shows up, but 2 supply will still pop the gate up? Kinda weird but whatever.

I'm curious how they do the breakout event; I have a feeling people with complain either way. Oh we pushed them off the map, now they get extra help and free suplpy and siege and whaa whaa whaa. Or, this NPC still isn't strong enough to counter the zerg so it's pointless.

People are already talking about just not capping the tower and not triggering the event as a strategy. Which I think is smart when the invaders have enough people in the map to trigger the event right away. However, if you can get the last keep and they have little presence, why not take it and keep it for a few ticks. If the event triggers and they get it back, you still made more points capping it than not.

Breakout event is going to be crazy. On our server (last place all the time) we've taken pride in trying to hold our own border map. Now, that will be harder than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sericenthe View Post
    Breakout event is going to be crazy. On our server (last place all the time) we've taken pride in trying to hold our own border map. Now, that will be harder than ever.
    But it'll be easier for you to push one to their maps. So you might not keep that ONE tower in your own map. But you might be able to cap those TWO towers in the other maps thus coming up ahead in points. If you're the last place server all the time, you benefit from this change the most.

We'll see. :-) Should be fun. Love WvWvW. Also, love the Alt F4 thing. Sure I've lose out on many badges because of that.

I think the breakout is going to be pretty buggy and probably abused. Already sometimes our larger guilds let stuff fall just so they can come back and retake (why I don't know when defending for 5 mins gives you 1/3 of the reward of taking, so defending for half and hour gives a much greater reward) They say camps don't count towards it, but I can see servers leaving a destroyed and defensless tower and not taking it (destroy constantly all walls and npcs but not capture it) to avoid the other side being able to get the help.

altf4 (now that I have learned what it is those cowards were doing) is an attempt to fix an abused system, but it does have some flaws in it, like people stuck in combat or people that have a high ratio of discount issues because of crappy internet or their location. Heck if you have good internet but a cheap router you can dc everytime someone connects to your wireless (used to happen to me so I spent the money on a better router ) What also isn't clear is if its just from when they force DC and close the client, or if something like a quee sends you to another map, or if you say go to Heart of the Mists? You aren't DCing, but changing maps, but still can be used to abuse the combat system. I guess time will tell how much of a fix it is and if they have to tweek it or not. I know I for one am very tired of people escaping from me

I liked what one person said on the official forums, in another game when you dc you stand their 10 secs before being logged out, now that I think is a good solution.

I'm just happy they're doing SOMETHING in WvW. It felt neglected for so long outside emergency fixes to orbs and stopping some hacking. And they say more is to come. So I'm hoping they'll keep adding interesting things that'll change tactics up and keep things new and fresh here and there. I just want to see how they handle the ascended gear in WVW and then if that's ok, I'll be thrilled with the state of things. If it's handled poorly...well lets wait and see first I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zorac View Post
    I think the breakout is going to be pretty buggy and probably abused. Already sometimes our larger guilds let stuff fall just so they can come back and retake (why I don't know when defending for 5 mins gives you 1/3 of the reward of taking, so defending for half and hour gives a much greater reward) They say camps don't count towards it, but I can see servers leaving a destroyed and defensless tower and not taking it (destroy constantly all walls and npcs but not capture it) to avoid the other side being able to get the help.

altf4 (now that I have learned what it is those cowards were doing) is an attempt to fix an abused system, but it does have some flaws in it, like people stuck in combat or people that have a high ratio of discount issues because of crappy internet or their location. Heck if you have good internet but a cheap router you can dc everytime someone connects to your wireless (used to happen to me so I spent the money on a better router ) What also isn't clear is if its just from when they force DC and close the client, or if something like a quee sends you to another map, or if you say go to Heart of the Mists? You aren't DCing, but changing maps, but still can be used to abuse the combat system. I guess time will tell how much of a fix it is and if they have to tweek it or not. I know I for one am very tired of people escaping from me

I liked what one person said on the official forums, in another game when you dc you stand their 10 secs before being logged out, now that I think is a good solution.
    Well if they have enough people on the map to push back, then yeah, most likely we won't cap that last tower, rather, we'll just farm them there around the spawn. But if they dont have the numbers, we should cap because you'll get the points for having it at each tick you do. It depends on the situation.

The Alt F4 things is good as proposed...if you DC and have a repair cost when you shouldn't (like bug when you can't get out of combat) is a small price to pay (like 1s) and should be very rare and offset by the extra drops you get from others by far. Now if you have a connection issue that you DC alot, then you (general you, not you you) need to make sure you address that. AN shouldn't change things because people DC every 20 minutes...that's not supposed to happen. I think I've DC'd about 4-5 times in about 800 hours of play. I'll gladly pay that 5s total for the extra hundreds of badges I should have gotten.

I've only dced when they gave us the warning of maintance or when it was a problem on my end (somehow knocking the router off the self messes the connection up, who knew ) But as it goes I am happy they have done something to prevent/make up for people abusing altf4.

I think it will be really funny to watch a lot of people who don't read the forums still doing it for the first week or so. Especially those that do it before they even get put in downed state.