Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ArenaNet: Guesting is Coming!

I'm definitely looking forward to this feature. I'd like to move around a bit and see the pops on other worlds and find a world that has a busy Orr for farming. I heard Tarnished Coast is busy, so maybe I'll take a look-see there first.

This thread needs more HYPE. This is what everyone has been asking for.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy!

Oh no, they're reasoning is in relation to the technical aspect and how their servers function. I get that, I do. However, what I don't understand is why a massively multiplayer online game would not build their servers to function properly from the ground up. Surely playing with people from across the world was one of their core discussions. So why did they spend thousands of dollars building servers that would put restraints on this simple idea. Yes, server architecture is complicated, I get that. But with all the time, energy, and money they have spent on this game, I would think building servers that were able to let players play with people from anywhere in the world would be a top priority.

I remember them talking about guesting originally, ages ago, and saying you'd not be able to guest to the other park. And there was a huge outcry back then. This was before the game released so I was ready for it.

I'm not sure why they built the game the way they did, but I assume there was a reason for doing so, particularly after that outcry. It may have involved changes we know nothing about. I'm pretty sure they would have done so if they could...but I have no idea what problems or technical reasons there were for not doing it.

The problem is, everyone always seems to assume when a game company does something that doesn't make sense that there's no reason for it. I'm pretty sure there is a reason, because otherwise, why wouldn't they have done it?

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Oh no, they're reasoning is in relation to the technical aspect and how their servers function. I get that, I do. However, what I don't understand is why a massively multiplayer online game would not build their servers to function properly from the ground up. Surely playing with people from across the world was one of their core discussions. So why did they spend thousands of dollars building servers that would put restraints on this simple idea.
    Actually, to be fair the technology they're using for guesting is new. It's never been done before, it's probably far from perfect. However, we have zero information on said technology and it more than likely will cost a lot of money to allow NA and EU servers to connect via guesting.

This is a feature we're basically getting for free. No monthly fee attached. Not entirely unreasonable.

Hopefully this is just the first step and the second step to allow us to play with anyone that happened in GW1 is coming one day.

Here's why I'm upset...

A blog post is released on April 24th, 2012 stating fairly clearly that we will be able to play with our friends through guesting, regardless of chosen world.

When Guild Wars 2 launches, you will also have the option to play with your friends on another world with our free “guesting” feature. With guesting, your characters can play on any world where you have friends—with certain restrictions. For instance, you will not be able to participate in WvW while guesting.
    "For instance, you will not be able to guest on EU servers." is what it should have said, except that right before that it says "any world where you have friends". Also baring the "When Guild Wars 2 launches" part, which isn't even the focus of my anger, we have another blog post released some time later.

In time, we’ll also introduce free “guesting,” which will allow players to visit other worlds as guests as long as they have friends on those worlds. This feature will be free, but guest players will not be able to enter World vs. World, and the Power of the Mists bonuses from their home world will continue to apply to their characters.
    This article mentions nothing about about region specific guesting. So based on these two pieces of information we can at least assume, that we will be able to play on any world where we have friends.

Fast forward to the most recent blog post, as quoted in this thread.

Because (different from a world transfer) we are not moving your character between data centers, you may only guest on worlds in the same region as your home world. Players on North American home worlds cannot guest on European worlds or vice versa.
    ArenaNet is constantly covering information in interviews, saying how they're not able to tell us more until they're sure it's ready. Why then, have they broken this principle time and time again with things like these blog articles. I realize that this game was in heavy development at the time and undergoing serious changes. If the server split was planned from the beginning then why go through all the trouble of leading us on, being vague in some posts, and taking the beating for it now after the game has been released.

Something like cross server guesting is extremely important to their core playerbase. We have friends built up across many countries from the original Guild Wars. We've got to know them, played with them, and they might even be in our guilds. Heck, there are some guilds that build specifically around being international.

Somewhere down the line they discussed guesting, as ArenaNet discusses things. They spent tons of time designing the server infrastructure, capacity, and all those things. They built these things using tons of money, incredible knowledge, and creative design. Why, at some point, did they cease to focus on players being able to play with other players, regardless of country. This must have been on their 'important' list, seeing as how it's one of the main principles of an MMO. If it's the technology that's the problem, then they should have designed it around more compatible technology.

An innovative and box-breaking game like Guild Wars 2 seems like it's taking a step backward with this. The ability to play with other people from other countries is key to socialization in games. Content can only get a game so far and it's always the community that keeps bringing people back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Fey View Post
    Actually, to be fair the technology they're using for guesting is new. It's never been done before, it's probably far from perfect. However, we have zero information on said technology and it more than likely will cost a lot of money to allow NA and EU servers to connect via guesting.

This is a feature we're basically getting for free. No monthly fee attached. Not entirely unreasonable.
    Yes, it would cost a lot of money to do it, now. Back when they were designing the system I imagine it would have been quite advantages and cost-friendly to base it around cross-server guesting. Also, where are you getting the information about their technology being all new and never used before?

I could get my character deleted for free as well. That doesn't always mean I'm going to like it.
    Last edited by Izzy; 01-19-2013 at 04:04 PM.

The problem Izzy, is that they originally said that guesting feature would only be available to people in the same server pool, and you wouldn't be able to guest to a server that wasn't. This was before the game launched and it was pretty much what I expected. They didn't ever come out and say that changed.

Sure if you came into the piece later you might have missed that and didn't know better. It's also possible that guesting has been delayed because they've been trying to get it to work and haven't been able to. We just don't have that information.

You're making the assumption that Anet knew all along it would be impossible. They certainly said originally that it wouldn't be that way and people freaked out when they said it. My guess is they tried to make it work within acceptable boundaries and couldn't get it to work.

I'm not sure what article you're referring to and I couldn't find it through Googling. Was it a Twitter thing? I also don't remember an outcry about it until now. Then again, I was pretty wrapped up with other news at the time. I think a lot of people missed it too and are just now finding out about it.

I'm not necessarily saying they knew it was impossible all along. I'm just saying they should have designed their systems better to be able to handle this kind of thing. As far as I've gathered it is perfectly possible, just very costly and time consuming now that they have everything set up.

I remember the shitstorm on Guru, not the original article. And I remember them saying they would try to get it to work but they couldn't promise anything. Not sure where the original article was...I'm guessing a blog post...but the fighting over it I definitely remember. I was one of the people of the people complaining about not being able to guest to anywhere.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast